Tuesday, May 24, 2011

Prom Interviews

"Prom is the day. the day ill remember for the rest of my life. I just cant wait to go dress shopping", stated my friends sister. she talked with such a excitment and content for a day where she was promised the time of a lifetime. after the intial question of, what comes to mind when you think of prom? i asked her why is prom so special? she went on to say that it was a celebration that tops off your 4 years of high school. than i went on to ask, than why is prom so unique? she told me with a distinct facial expression(are you serious?), and said the preperation is what makes it so significant. the dress shoppin which she was so enthused about and the scenes and talk shes heard of prom day and its festivities. she was ready to just have fun and that was what most mattered to her. but she did not think that prom was anything less than memorable.

I confronted my friend who graduated from stuyvesant two years ago. we sat down and he asked what for. " i need to interview you about prom, just a couple questions, no biggie right?". " weird, but no problem man" he stated. i asked him, how was your prom in high school? " it wasnt all that like people put it to seem, it was ok. i just got pretty messed up haha. and i got the girl ive always wanted. i laughed at his response  because it was a stereotypical one. Sex and alcohol are all components of prom. he didnt have a great prom but he got what he wanted(sex and alcohol) which he was most proud of.he still remembers the day clearly even if it was washed down.

The last person i interviewed was my mother. before i even tried asking her questions, she told me with a demanding voice that i better have everything situated for prom becuase it was 2 days away. i sad who cares, to test her buttons and see what kind of response i would hear back. like a i predicted, she went on to say how stupid i would look if i didnt. alll thats heard, experienced and seen about Prom day has my own mother worried about my own and me looking stupid. she didnt want her son having a bad time or maybe even a laughing stock which was funny to me. this itnerview pretty much went from me wanting to interview my mother to her taking control and interviewing me. she didnt have a prom herself because she was pregnant with my oldest brother and felt the need to make sure i had a great one.

These interviews all gave stereotypical answers and views about prom. the things you hear about prom like sexy, drugs, dances, limos, and casual wear. is what many have been following and look to continue to do so. i really think its overwhelming for many teenagers, even their parents who are the bread winners and providers for a pricy night.

No comments:

Post a Comment